A little place to share the mayhem which is my life. Welcome to the madhouse, please enjoy your stay :D

Friday, January 27, 2012

Domestic Goddess????

Anyone that knows me, knows how much I despise cleaning. Just the thought of cleaning makes me cringe. I am forever looking for the easiest way to clean something to get it done faster. This loathing stems from growing up as Cinderella. I had a list of chores as long as my arm and they had to be done specific way on specific days while my brother got to play video games and have fun. I once asked my mother why he never had to do dishes or cleaning of any sort and was informed that “he is a boy” O.o This is why I made the decision that “the teen” will be learning how to clean because I don’t believe just because you are a boy means you shouldn’t know how to clean, but I digress.


I used to imagine myself as Cinderella waiting for my fairy godmother to come and whisk me away to the ball and my Prince Charming, just to make chores bearable. Sometimes it helped, most of the time it didn’t *lol*


Well I have been on my own since I was 19 and I have never been what you would call obsessive when it comes to housework. If I could put it off for a bit. To me, some dust bunnies weren’t the end of the world and clutter was constant because we had 2 adults and a child who has 4 sets of grandparents buying stuff for him in a small 600 sq foot apt.


Well over the last couple of months I have discovered a new love of cleaning and dreaming of my fairy godmother and my Prince Charming hasn’t happened at all while doing housework. I have actually been pretty surprised with myself. Since “the husband” hasn’t been in the house I actually enjoy cleaning. I have cleared out my backyard and winterized it. I have been keeping up with wiping stuff down and picking things up and putting them back in their place instead of saying “I’ll do that later”


The biggest thing to change for me is discovering my love of vacuuming. I noticed a small stand up was on sale and I thought “for that price, why not” I had several vacuums at my old apartment because it was wall to wall carpet and you needed one with all that. Our current home is wood floors because of “the teen’s” asthma, so I never bothered to replace the vacuum we left at our old place because it was broken. After 6 years of dealing with sweeping and the floors not being completely dust free I finally had a vacuum again and I am LOVING IT!!!!! I find myself looking for things to vacuum.


I have vacuumed out my couch for the first time in ages. I used to take a small brush and dustpan to clean it before but that was killer on my back and patience. I have been able to get into places with the attachments where I couldn’t reach with a broom so there is less dust bunnies hiding behind heavy objects. “The teen” has watched me in confusion at how happy I am to be cleaning, seeing as normally he sees me cringing the entire time. I feel so domestic lately. Everything I look at I want to clean and I am not even pregnant. =P


I am liking this new me and my new, cleaner house. I have also changed from using harsh cleaning products to using water and vinegar in a spray bottle. I was skeptical at first and didn’t think it was as good as store bought cleaners but I did some research and discovered that vinegar is a natural disinfectant so I have been using that and have discovered I am not having so much health issues from breathing in harsh chemicals, which also makes me more willing to wipe down things since I can breathe. Vinegar is also a helluva lot cheaper than other cleaning products so win for the wallet as well as my nasal passages *happyface*


Domestic Goddess? Not exactly but I am on my way and feeling great about it, with no fairy godmothers or Prince Charmings in sight. Now I am off to go find something else to clean =)




Hugs and Kisses from the Madhouse






No comments:

Post a Comment